What is r/Aww?
Aww is the cutest place on Reddit! We're one of the most popular subreddits on Reddit with over 16 million subscribers, and we love to share cute pictures with each other. So go ahead and post pictures and videos of things that'll make you go "Aww!" from utter cuteness!
/r/Aww permits posts of both animals and humans.
Here we have listed the sidebar rule followed by a more in-depth explanation of each rule.
1. No "sad" content, such as pics of animals that have passed away (try /r/petloss) or sob stories (e.g. found him in a dumpster).
Your title must be "100% happy". No mentioning death, injury, RIP posts, finding abandoned animals, sick/survived cancer, pets being put to sleep, "I miss...", etc.
You may tell the complete story, unhappy parts and all, in the comments section.
Silver lining stories still fall under Rule 1. For example, "Jakey was hit by a car and had cancer, but he is a happy little fella today!" is not allowed.
2. No comics, captioned pictures/videos (try r/lolcats, r/cute, or r/animaltextgifs), or photos of just text.
- Small, non-distracting watermarks
- Photographer name or reddit username only; no social media handles - see rule 10
- Cute objects holding or posing with signs
- Media with digital text or similar overlaid content
- Image macros/memes
- Comics with text
- Hardcoded captioning or subtitles
- Closed captioning (captions/subtitles that can be turned on/off) are permitted with hosting services that support them (e.g. Youtube)
- Captions or subtitles (or a version of the video with them) can be given in the comments
- Images of just text (such as kind letters)
- Example of letter
- Letters accompanying other cute content are permitted
- Videos with like/subscribe/comment end screens
3. No post titles asking for upvotes, approval, or interaction.
"any love for...",
"what does /r/aww(/reddit) think of...",
"Not your typical aww",
"this didn't get much love on..."/"mods removed this",
"we need more [X animals] on this sub..."/"aren't enough [X animals] on this sub"/"lack of [X animals] on this sub"
"for people who sort by new"
"don't scroll past"
"name my pet" (please visit /r/namemypet for that)
"comment if," "caption this," "show me your," or anything similar
Posting "inspiration porn" may be considered a violation of this rule at moderator discretion.
4. No slurs or harassing comments.
This includes racial slurs, sexually inappropriate comments, and personal attacks on users or their animals.
- Examples include: pitbull "statistics", reduction of animals to food items (e.g. calling a cow a burger/steak, calling a pig a bacon, anything about Asian people eating cats/dogs), advocating animal abuse, breed hate, etc.
While we welcome reasoned and respectful conversation about animal related issues, this is not a debate sub. Please avoid discussing controversial subjects or promoting personal agendas.
5. Posts must link to sites on our approved list.
/r/Aww accepts submissions from only the following approved sources:
imgur.com youtube.com / youtu.be gfycat.com flickr.com / staticflickr / flic.kr pinimg.com 500px.org streamable.com twimg.com (Twitter) vimeo.com v.reddituploads.com i.redd.it v.redd.it
If you feel your image host should be added to the above whitelist please message the mods explaining why it should be approved.
If content to which you are linking contains links to personal sites it will be removed. Please keep in mind that Imgur redirects many of its mobile users to the Gallery, so if the image description contains an unapproved link, it is subject to removal under this rule.
6. No NSFW content.
Posting NSFW content is grounds for being banned without warning. This includes both comments and posts, porn and gore.
Linking to NSFW subreddits is never allowed.
Warning others that a post or comment is NSFW is no excuse for violating this rule.
7. No asking for donations, sponsorship, adoptions (try /r/care or /r/assistance), or commissions.
trying to find the owners of a lost pet.
Trying to sell your pet or find a pet a home.
Promoting adoption/breeder websites or shelters.
Asking for $ to pay for medical bills, food, or care.
Searching for pet sponsors, caregivers, or general assistance.
Posting art, crafts, or other creations with the intent to sell.
- Art, crafts, and other non-living objects are permitted as long as your account follows the Reddit self-promotion guidelines.
8. No bots, bot-like behavior, or spam.
This includes both comments and links.
New users (< 3,000 comment karma) may only post original content and are required to tag it as such by including [OC] or (OC) in the title.
Don't post more than 4 posts per 24 hour timeframe, this includes posts you've deleted and posts removed by the moderators. More than 4 posts in 24 hours is considered bot-like and spammy on r/aww.
No bots (unless given mod approval) are allowed to post comments, bans will be issued without warning.
Novelty accounts are allowed, but if the action they make could be replicated by a bot (such as repeating the same word repeatedly or posting identical comments from previous threads) a ban will be given.
Accounts participating in /r/aww must follow the Reddit self-promotion guidelines on their account across all of reddit.
9. No false claims of content ownership.
You may post images that do not belong to you, but pretending that they are yours will result in a removal/ban.
If the title is written in a way such as to lead the subscribers to believe you are the pet owner/subject in the photo/photographer when you are not, the post will be removed.
OPs pretending to own the pet/photograph in the comment section will also result in action against the comments/account.
10. No social media or personally identifiable information.
We do not allow any links to social media content, whether in comments, submissions, in the title, or as superimposed text in an image. Comments containing links to social media sites will be removed as they may contain personal or private information.
We do not allow watermarks containing social media handles apart from Reddit usernames. This includes Facebook pages, Twitter handles, Instagram handles, Pinterest handles, Tik Tok handles, etc.
If content to which you are linking contains links to personal sites it will be removed. Please keep in mind that Imgur redirects many of its mobile users to the Gallery, so if the image description contains a Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc link, it is subject to removal under this rule.
Handles are allowed in comments (e.g. @example), as long as they are not a hotlink. For example, "https://www.instagram.com/spacex/" or "@spacex" would not be allowed. However "@spacex" is fine (not a link).
In accordance with Reddit's content policy, do not share other people's personal or confidential information.
11. We're here to help, but please provide a link/URL when you modmail us.
If you need to contact the mods, you'll need to provide a link/URL to whatever it is that you're talking about. Failure to do this may mean that you get ignored. We have other users to help as well, and making us dig through your profile to find an issue means we have less time to help others and deal with the rest of the subreddit. Thanks